Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Police renew appeal over teenage girl’s murder in drive-by shooting

Tanesha Melbourne-Blake, 17, was shot dead in north London on April 2 last year.

Tanesha Melbourne-Blake, was shot dead in Haringey, north London, on April 2 2018 (Metropolitan Police/PA)
Tanesha Melbourne-Blake, was shot dead in Haringey, north London, on April 2 2018 (Metropolitan Police/PA)

Detectives investigating the drive-by shooting of a 17-year-old girl have urged anyone with information to speak out on the first anniversary of her murder.

The Metropolitan Police said they have made “good progress” in the inquiry into Tanesha Melbourne-Blake’s death, with four arrests made, but are “certain” other people can help.

Tanesha was shot in Chalgrove Road, Haringey, north London, at about 9.35pm on April 2 2018 by a gunman in a silver-grey Vauxhall Meriva people carrier.

She died at the scene and the car, with the registration KS56 NKG, was found burnt out in Barnet five days later.

bpanews_73e0130b-2880-47df-8e6d-2cf1f3f13fd7_embedded235922597
Dozens of tributes were left at the scene after Tanesha was murdered (Jonathan Brady/PA)

Detective Inspector Beverley Kofi, who is leading the investigation, said: “It is now one year since Tanesha’s murder and we are determined to catch the people responsible and bring them to justice.

“Whilst we are making good progress, with a number of arrests made, we continue to urge people with information to come forward.

“I’m certain someone in the community holds vital information that will lead to prosecutions. I can assure you anything you provide will be treated in the strictest confidence.

“If you are worried about contacting police, please think about Tanesha’s family – her loss is something they will never get over. We need people to come forward and do the right thing.”

A 31-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder on April 6 2018 and released under investigation pending further inquiries.

Two men, aged 18 and 22, were arrested on March 14 on suspicion of murder. The teenager was released under investigation and the 22-year-old was bailed until mid-April.

A 50-year-old man was arrested on March 25 and has also been released under investigation.

Anyone with information should contact the police incident room in strict confidence on 020 8358 0100.

Alternatively, call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. Information can also be passed on anonymously at www.fearless.org.

PA

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph