Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Prison for four burglars who left lecturer Paul Kohler 'unrecognisable'

By Staff Reporter

Four burglars jailed for a "drugs and alcohol-fuelled" raid on a university professor's home targeted him because they had the wrong address, the victim said yesterday.

Paul Kohler (55) suffered a fractured eye socket, a fracture to his left jawbone, a broken nose and bruising that left him "utterly unrecognisable" during the attack at his home in Wimbledon, south London.

His wife, Samantha MacArthur (50) was also threatened by the intruders on the night of August 11 last year.

The four "remorseless" Polish burglars who took part in the "savage" attack were yesterday given sentences of up to 19 years at Kingston Crown Court.

During the two-day sentencing process, the court heard that one of the defendants believed that he was going to the house of a "heavy drug dealer". Pawel Honc (24), of no fixed address, and Mariusz Tomaszewski (32), of Crusoe Road, Mitcham, south London, were both sentenced to 19 years after admitting grievous bodily harm with intent and aggravated burglary.

Oskar Pawlowicz (30), of Pitcairn Road in Mitcham, and Dawid Tychon (29) of no fixed address, were both sentenced to 13 years after they pleaded guilty to aggravated burglary.

Mr Kohler said: "I feel vindicated by the sentence but I don't want to be vindictive about it.

"I take no pleasure in their deservedly long sentence - and it is a long sentence, and that's right and proper.

"It will be difficult for them, as it should be, but I'm not going to sit here and jump up and down looking delighted about it." Mr Kohler, who was flanked by his wife and daughter Eloise, watched the men intently as they were given their sentences.

Eloise, who was in the property with her boyfriend Geraint and managed to hide and call police, burst into tears as the sentence was delivered.

The five-minute attack began when Mr Kohler went to answer the door at around 10pm while his wife, 24-year-old Eloise and Geraint were upstairs.

Mr Kohler was pushed to the floor and Honc sat on him and repeatedly punched him in the face while another man kicked him in the head.

Detective Inspector Daniel O'Sullivan, who led the investigation, said: "This was a horrific attack on Paul and his family. The defendants have shown little remorse throughout this two day sentence and throughout the whole investigation."

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph