Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Prisoner 'killed in revenge attack'

A serving prisoner died in hospital after being subjected to a "ferocious" revenge attack by two other inmates who believed he had stolen items from their cell, a court has heard.

Adnan Rafiq, 25, died in January, three days after suffering severe injuries to his brain and skull while being held at HMP Hewell, near Redditch, Worcestershire.

A trial at Birmingham Court Court heard Mr Rafiq, from the Moseley area of the city, was left with the imprint of a trainer on his head after being stamped on.

The victim is alleged to have been attacked by Barry Mundle, 34, and 28-year-old Jermaine Christie, who both deny murder.

A third defendant, Jahnel Faure, 28, is alleged to have prevented Mr Rafiq from escaping from the scene of the attack and also denies murder.

Opening the case against the three men, prosecutor Stephen Linehan QC claimed Mundle and Christie were both "enraged" at the theft of their personal property.

Mr Linehan told jurors: "The attack was carried out by Mr Mundle and Mr Christie in a cell they were sharing together.

"The third defendant, Jahnel Faure, took part by hindering Mr Rafiq when he was attempting to escape from the cell to get away from the attackers.

"The violence was ferocious. He (Mr Rafiq) suffered extremely serious injuries to his skull, to the bones of his face and to his brain."

Mundle and Christie, Mr Linehan alleged, had believed Mr Rafiq was to blame for stealing boxes and bags from their cell on the morning of Monday January 28.

The court heard that after Mr Rafiq was found injured, blood was found on jogging bottoms worn by Mundle, while Christie is alleged to have asked another prisoner to dispose of his trainers.

Mr Rafiq is said by a witness to have walked across a house block landing to enter the cell, where he is alleged to have been set upon immediately.

In police interviews conducted after Mr Rafiq was taken to hospital, Faure, originally from West Bromwich, told officers he played no part at all in what happened to Mr Rafiq.

Mundle, originally from Wolverhampton, told police he was involved in a melee inside his cell in which Mr Rafiq "hit the deck hard" as he pulled down his jogging bottoms.

Christie, from Birmingham, claimed to police that his cell-mate had attacked Mr Rafiq during a situation over which he had no control.

The trial, which is expected to last for at least four weeks, was adjourned until Wednesday.


From Belfast Telegraph