Redknapp 'hasn't thought about' job
Harry Redknapp has insisted he has "not even thought about" the England manager's job left vacant by Fabio Capello's sensational resignation.
Former England captain Rio Ferdinand has joined Wayne Rooney in backing the Tottenham Hotspur boss to take over as the head of the national side.
But asked about the England job as he drove away from his home in Poole, Dorset, Redknapp told reporters: "I've not even thought about it. I've got a big game Saturday with Tottenham."
Capello quit as England manager on Wednesday night after publicly challenging the FA's decision to strip John Terry of the England captaincy while he awaits trial in July for allegedly racially abusing QPR's Anton Ferdinand.
Redknapp, 64, who was acquitted of tax fraud at London's Southwark Crown Court earlier in the day, is firm favourite to succeed the Italian. He said he was "shocked" at Capello's resignation but played down calls for him to take the England job, insisting that his "only interest" was Tottenham Hotspur.
Speaking at a press conference at Wembley, FA chairman David Bernstein said: "I want to publicly thank Fabio Capello for all the work he has done."
Mr Bernstein continued that Mr Capello had always "behaved with honour and dignity" and added of his departure: "We concluded matters with a handshake."
He said that Capello's interview with an Italian broadcaster on Sunday had created an "unsatisfactory situation", adding: "I met Fabio at his office yesterday and it was at that time that I accepted his resignation and I, on behalf of the board, agreed that it was the right decision."
Mr Bernstein denied the appointment of Mr Capello had been an expensive mistake. "It was certainly expensive, but nobody could argue that it was a mistake," he said. "He has been a great manager."
Bookmaker William Hill has slashed Redknapp's odds to 8/15 to take over the nation's team in time for the first Euro 2012 match against France, while Coral stopped taking wagers on the bet.