Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Scottish police 'can't arrest' suspect in murder of Bangor teacher Gary Ferguson in Myanmar

By Claire O'Boyle

Police Scotland has claimed it has "no authority" to arrest a suspect in the murder of a Northern Ireland man in Myanmar.

The alleged killer of Gary Ferguson from Bangor is living with his girlfriend less than a mile from a main police station in Glasgow, it was reported yesterday.

Just days after Interpol issued a 'red alert' to find fugitive Harris Binotti in connection with the November slaying, the teacher was tracked down to a first-floor flat in the Ibrox area of the city, where he was spotted sporting a new beard and ponytail. The 26-year-old fled Myanmar on November 5 last year, just hours after his colleague Mr Ferguson was beaten to death after a night out.

The tragic dad's battered body was discovered in Binotti's apartment on November 6, and the following day police in Myanmar named the Scot as their chief suspect.

Thursday's Interpol alert telling police across the world that Binotti was wanted for the 47-year-old's murder made him the only Briton on a red notice. It requested for forces to "locate and provisionally arrest him pending extradition" to face a murder charge in Asia.

However, last night Police Scotland said: "The Myanmar authorities have the lead in the investigation into the death of Peter Gary Ferguson. Police Scotland has no authority to arrest anyone at this stage.

"Police Scotland will continually monitor any ongoing risk and take all appropriate measures."

Mr Ferguson's brother Martin (50), who lives in Holland, said the family wants to know the truth.

"We are absolutely flabbergasted that Binotti has been living like this, so close to police, for months. But what has shocked us even more is that his girlfriend is with him - she knows he's been linked to a violent murder, that police around the world are looking for him, and yet she's happy to stand by him. The thing that worries me most is that people could be at risk from this man.

"We want him to be arrested and sent back to Myanmar to be tried properly over my brother's death.

"Gary, who was a wonderful, friendly guy, deserves that, and we deserve to know the truth about what happened."

The night before he died Mr Ferguson spent the evening at a hotel in Yangon with his Thai wife Supatchaya Sichompor (32). They were joined by Binotti and his girlfriend.

Mr Ferguson went back to Binotti's flat that night, where it's believed the two had an argument. Neighbours said they had heard the pair shouting.

The Foreign Office said: "We continue to do all we can to help and support the family of Mr Ferguson at this difficult time.

"We are in contact with the Burmese (sic) authorities responsible for the investigation."

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph