| 14.2°C Belfast

Second man arrested over fatal stabbing of university lecturer


A 26-year-old suspect was arrested and later released on bail.

A 26-year-old suspect was arrested and later released on bail.

A 26-year-old suspect was arrested and later released on bail.

A second man has been arrested in connection with the murder of a man who was stabbed to death on his way to work.

A post-mortem examination has revealed that university lecturer Daniel Young, aged 30, died of a stab wound. He was attacked near Morden Tube station in south London during morning rush-hour on Tuesday. Emergency services pronounced him dead at the scene.

On Thursday, a 35-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of the murder and was taken into custody at a south London police station.

A 26-year-old man who was previously arrested on suspicion of murder and of wasting police time has been bailed.

A murder investigation was launched after police were called to reports of an injured man - now known to be Mr Young - in Kendor Gardens shortly after 8am on Tuesday. He was attacked while on his way to his second day of work at his new job at the London Campus of Coventry University.

The Homicide and Major Crime Command (HMCC) has said it is yet to establish a possible motive for the attack, and whether it was done by a stranger or someone known to Mr Young.

At 7.25am the same day, another incident was reported in nearby Lewis Road, where a 23-year-old man was stabbed in the buttocks. He was taken to hospital but his injuries were not life-threatening.

It is not known whether the two incidents are linked, but due to the close time and place of the two attacks, HMCC is working to establish if there is any evidence that the same suspect has committed both attacks.

Detective Superintendent Paul Monk said: "I understand the concerns of the public that the attack on Daniel Young was unprovoked and potentially committed by a stranger in a random attack. We too share those concerns and have allocated significant resources to find the person who did this.

"Detectives are currently conducting house-to-house enquiries. Specialist officers continue to carry-out extensive searches in Kendor Gardens and the local area. Significant CCTV and forensic work is also under way and we are confident that the investigation will move forward quickly.

"I reiterate that random attacks of this nature are thankfully rare in London, however we keep an open mind and at this early stage are not ruling out any line of enquiry."

Mr Young's brother Simon paid tribute to the lecturer on Facebook with a series of pictures of them together.

He wrote: "My Brother. My friend. I'm still wrapping my head round this, still hoping/wishing it's a sick joke.

"I can't possibly write everything I want to right now, its all too surreal.

"Who am I going to run Tough Mudders, Bear Grylls races, Marathons, Welsh 3000s with now?!

"I don't know what to feel, I'm frustrated, angry, upset, confused.

"Just so proud of everything you achieved in your life, places you travelled, friends you made..you are inspirational big Bro."