Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Second winner of £33m Lotto jackpot comes forward with valid claim

The holder of the second ticket which scooped a half-share of a record £66 million Lotto jackpot has come forward to claim their winnings.

Camelot said the punter, who bought a ticket for the January 9 draw in Worcester, had opted to remain anonymous after lodging a valid claim on the outstanding prize of £33,035,323.

The lottery operator had been investigating hundreds of claims of lost, damaged or stolen tickets in Worcester, including one from a grandmother who said her ticket was damaged in a washing machine.

Married couple David and Carol Martin, both 54, from Hawick in the Scottish Borders, won the other half of the massive payout from the January 9 draw.

In a statement confirming that the remaining winner had come forward, Camelot said: " The ticket-holder has opted to remain anonymous.

"Under its licence to operate The National Lottery, Camelot has a duty of care to protect the anonymity of all National Lottery winners. Therefore no further details will be released about this ticket-holder's claim."

A spokeswoman for the National Lottery said: "We're delighted that the winner of this amazing prize has now come forward and we hope that they will enjoy their win.

"It would have been awful if the ticket-holder had missed out on this substantial and life-changing amount of money."

Camelot announced the development after it was confirmed that it had not sought to recover CCTV footage from a shop where Worcester resident Susanne Hinte claimed to have bought a ticket bearing the winning numbers.

Ms Hinte, from Warndon, hit the headlines after reportedly informing friends that she had inadvertently washed the crumpled ticket in a pair of jeans.

Meanwhile, the Crown Prosecution Service said Ms Hinte was alleged to have committed two offences of theft in Birmingham in January last year.

A CPS spokesman said the 48-year-old pleaded not guilty to the charges last summer and is due back at Birmingham Magistrates' Court for trial in March.


From Belfast Telegraph