Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Seven arrested in anti-terror raids

Counter-terrorism police investigating a "large-scale" alleged fraud linked to extremists travelling to Syria have arrested seven people.

The arrests of six men and a woman are part of a probe into allegations that vulnerable and elderly victims were "cold called" at home by someone impersonating a police officer.

The suspects were held today when officers from the Metropolitan Police's Counter Terrorism Command raided a number of addresses in London and one in Luton, Bedfordshire.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: " Officers are investigating a large-scale fraud linked to UK extremists travelling to Syria.

"The arrests today form part of an ongoing fraud investigation, whereby unsuspecting vulnerable and elderly victims are 'cold called' on their home phone by a suspect impersonating a police officer.

"Members of the public are strongly advised, if you receive a call like this about your bank account from someone claiming to be a police officer, hang up the phone, wait at least five minutes to make sure the phone line has cleared, or use another phone line, before ringing the phone number on your bank card."

The six men were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit fraud and money laundering. The woman was arrested on suspicion of money laundering.

A 23-year-old man and the 32-year-old woman were held at an address in north London.

Four men - two aged 23, one 21-year-old and one aged 28 - were arrested at separate addresses in north London, while a 38-year-old man was detained in Luton.

Officers are searching a total of seven properties.

Police said a 46-year-old woman was arrested at one of the addresses in north London on suspicion of an offence under section 2 of the Child Abduction Act 1984.

She was arrested in connection with an unrelated investigation over a young girl believed to have travelled to Turkey and has been bailed. Two women, aged 20 and 21, were previously arrested in relation to this inquiry on suspicion of an offence under the same legislation. They have been bailed until June.

The Met said the girl's current whereabouts are unknown.


From Belfast Telegraph