Sir Cliff Richard waits for judge’s decision in court battle with BBC
The entertainer wants damages at the ‘top end’ of the scale over TV coverage of a police raid on his home.
Sir Cliff Richard is waiting to hear whether he has won a fight with the BBC over coverage of a police raid on his home following a child sex assault allegation.
A judge oversaw a High Court trial in London during April and May and is due to deliver a ruling on Wednesday.
The 77-year-old singer sued the BBC over TV coverage of a South Yorkshire Police search on his home in August 2014, and wants damages at the “top end” of the scale.
He told Mr Justice Mann that the coverage, which involved the use of a helicopter, was a “very serious invasion” of his privacy.
The BBC disputes his claims.
Bosses say the coverage of the search of the apartment in Sunningdale, Berkshire, was accurate and in good faith.
Mr Justice Mann heard that, in late 2013, a man made an allegation to the Metropolitan Police, saying he had been sexually assaulted by Sir Cliff during an event featuring evangelist Billy Graham at Sheffield United’s Bramall Lane football stadium, in 1985, when he was a child.
Metropolitan Police officers passed the allegation to South Yorkshire Police in July 2014.
Sir Cliff denied the allegation. He was never arrested and in June 2016 prosecutors announced that he would face no charges.
A BBC spokesman has said the broadcaster reported Sir Cliff’s “full denial of the allegations at every stage”.
Mr Justice Mann heard that South Yorkshire Police had agreed to pay Sir Cliff £400,000 after settling a claim he brought against the force.
Sir Cliff had initially sued the BBC and South Yorkshire Police after complaining about coverage of the raid.
A spokesman for the judiciary has said that Mr Justice Mann will deliver his ruling at the High Court in London on Wednesday.