Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Stabbed teenager left bleeding to death in the street

A 19-year-old man who was stabbed to death in a residential street was left lying terrified and bleeding heavily, an eyewitness has said.

The neighbour heard the teenager screaming and found him in Heather Way in Selsdon, South Croydon, south London, at around 7.40pm on Tuesday.

Upon seeing the extent of his injuries and the amount of blood he was losing, she said she knew he was going to die.

Despite the efforts of paramedics and an air ambulance crew, he died in hospital.

Officers from Scotland Yard's murder squad have arrested two men, both also 19, on suspicion of murder. They were taken to separate police stations in south London.

The same onlooker reported hearing the victim's distraught mother running up the street, screaming.

Carol Sayer, 29, described the victim as dark-skinned and said he looked much younger than his actual age.

She told the Press Association: "I heard him scream. I was watering my garden and I thought they were hitting him. I'm disabled, so my neighbour jumped the wall and I screamed and she shouted at them and they ran off.

"She said to me he was in a bad way and obviously we thought he had been beaten, so I said we should put pressure on the wound, only to find he had been stabbed.

"I was talking to him, he told me he was 19, but I thought he was much younger - he was only a little boy, he was so tiny and skinny.

"I knew he was going to die, because once they start losing blood that's it.

"I said we just needed to keep talking to him because obviously he was frightened and then later I heard his mum come screaming, running along the road."

The victim's family have been informed but formal identification has not yet taken place, the Metropolitan Police said.

Road closures were in place around the scene while the investigation continued.

A spokesman said: "Police were called at approximately 7.40pm on Tuesday August 16 to reports of a man injured in Heather Way, South Croydon.

"Officers, London Ambulance Service and London's air ambulance attended and discovered a man, believed aged 19, suffering stab injuries. He was taken to hospital, where he subsequently died."

The latest incident follows the death of 18-year-old Lance Scott Walker, who was stabbed in Hayes, west London, on Monday afternoon while an onlooker screamed at his alleged attacker to stop.

An eyewitness said the teenager had been "running for his life" while covered in blood.

A group of teenagers, who did not want to talk about the stabbing, gathered next to a uniformed police cordon around the scene where people stopped to lay flowers.

One memorial card read: "Taken too soon, in our thoughts forever."

Peter Wyatt, a priest on the council estate where the stabbing happened, said all the children in the area know each other and they are "devastated" by the killing.

The priest, who came to offer some words of comfort, said: "It has just happened ... complete shock. It is not what people living on the estate are used to.

"I saw an air ambulance land on a nearby green, just around the corner. It was pretty obvious that something serious had happened.

"Having found out it was a stabbing, I find it really shocking because someone has lost their loved one. The relations, the family and friends are all just devastated. This is probably the first time they have known someone who has been killed and died in this way.

"It is not a normal thing to have happened around here."

Uniformed officers stood at the scene and forensic specialists could be seen beyond the police tape. Other uniformed police in vans also passed by to reassure the public.


From Belfast Telegraph