| 2.4°C Belfast

Storm Ciara brings severe disruption across UK as thousands left without power


Firefighters rescue a person from a car in a flooded street in Blackpool

Firefighters rescue a person from a car in a flooded street in Blackpool


A woman braves the rain in Sheffield

A woman braves the rain in Sheffield


Firefighters rescue a person from a car in a flooded street in Blackpool

Widespread flooding and winds of more than 90mph caused severe disruption as Storm Ciara battered the UK yesterday.

Thousands of people were left without power, some homes were evacuated and buildings were damaged as heavy rain and strong gusts swept across the country.

Dozens of domestic and international flights were cancelled and train companies urged passengers not to travel. Ferries were also affected, while drivers faced treacherous conditions with floodwater, fallen trees and other debris closing roads.

Yesterday's sporting programme was also disrupted, as horse racing, rugby union, rugby league and football fixtures, including the Premier League match between Manchester City and West Ham in Manchester, were all postponed.

Gusts of 97mph were recorded on the Isle of Wight, while inland, Manchester Airport recorded gusts of 86mph. Some 177mm of rain fell in Honister Pass, in Cumbria, in the 24 hours to 4pm yesterday - around one-and-a-half times the average February rainfall of 112mm.

Some 539,000 people experienced a power cut yesterday with 118,000 left without power by 4pm across the whole of the UK, according to Energy Networks.

More than 200 flood warnings were issued across England. The Humber Bridge was closed entirely for only the second time in its history, according to its website.

The Queen did not attend church in Sandringham due to high winds in the area.

In Scotland, part of a cafe and guesthouse collapsed into the fast-flowing River Teviot in Hawick in the Borders, leaving the rooms inside exposed.

Three people were injured after part of a pub roof collapsed in Perth on Saturday evening and a stand at Wisbech Town FC's Fenland Stadium, in Cambridgeshire, collapsed yesterday due to powerful winds.

Flights to and from major UK airports were cancelled and disrupted, including Qantas flight QF10, which returned to Heathrow after experiencing a suspected tailstrike during take-off.

In Dublin, a pedestrian was hit by a falling tree in Crumlin at the height of the storm. Luckily, their injuries were not life threatening.

It was one of multiple calls attended by Dublin Fire Brigade (DFB) during a hectic 24 hours. DFB also attended a number of properties in the north inner city where basements flooded from the sheer volume of rainwater dumped by Storm Ciara.

Almost 15,000 homes were without power with the worst hit areas being Clare, Kerry, Galway and Waterford as the storm knocked trees and brought down power lines.

Belfast Telegraph