Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Stourbridge double murder accused appears in court

The alleged killer of a mother and her 13-year-old son has appeared before a Crown Court judge.

Aaron Barley, who is accused of murdering Tracey and Pierce Wilkinson at their home in Stourbridge, was remanded in custody after a seven-minute hearing at Birmingham Crown Court.

Barley, wearing a grey round-necked T-shirt and dark trousers, sat near a lone female security officer for part of the hearing before a second officer also entered the glass-fronted dock.

The 23-year-old was remanded in custody at Birmingham Magistrates' Court on Saturday after appearing with his right arm in a sling alongside two dock officers wearing protective helmets.

No bail application was made at Monday's hearing and Barley, of no fixed address, was told he will reappear at the Crown Court on a date to be fixed.

He was not asked to enter any pleas.

Barley is charged with the murders of Mrs Wilkinson and her son, and faces a further allegation of attempting to murder the boy's 47-year-old father Peter at the victims' home in Greyhound Lane, Stourbridge.

Mrs Wilkinson, aged 50, was pronounced dead at the scene after suffering stab injuries, while her son died after being taken to hospital.

Mr Wilkinson suffered wounds to his chest and back and remains seriously ill in hospital after being found injured at about 8am on Thursday March 30.

The couple's daughter Lydia, aged 18, visited the family home on Sunday to lay flowers outside the property.

Miss Wilkinson, a student at Bristol University, also issued a statement paying tribute to her mother and brother.

The statement read: "Our family are devastated at the loss of Tracey and Pierce. They were extremely loved by all of their family and friends.

"Pierce was a fun-loving, friendly and happy boy, who loved computer games and made everyone smile.

"Tracey was loving, caring and a wonderful mother and daughter. Always putting others before herself.

"The family did not provide refuge for homeless people and Aaron Barley had never lived at the family home but had been assisted by the family in the past 12 months."

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph