Tesco fined after worker burnt in eye while cleaning an oven
The council said it is satisfied that improvements have been made at the Tesco Extra store in Colchester.
Tesco has been fined £116,000 after a worker suffered chemical burns while cleaning an oven.
The employee was using a corrosive cleaning product at the Tesco Extra store in Colchester, Essex, when it sprayed back into his face and burnt his left eye and eyelid.
Tesco Stores Ltd admitted at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court to a health and safety offence and to failing to comply with two hazardous substances regulations, Colchester Borough Council said.
Colchester Borough Council have successfully prosecuted Tesco Stores Ltd for health and safety breaches at their Highwoods store, resulting in a fine and costs totalling more than £125,000 https://t.co/G6lRPsVLoi— Colchester Borough Council (@yourcolchester) March 14, 2018
A council spokesman said the employee had difficulty understanding written and verbal instructions due to medical conditions, and the manager was aware of this.
The employee was also not wearing goggles or gloves.
A council officer visited the store and found a partially-used container of the product, which was marked ‘corrosive’.
They found that safety goggles were available, but were dirty and inadequately stored.
Tesco Stores Ltd was fined £116,000 and ordered to pay costs of more than £10,000.
Tina Bourne, portfolio holder for housing and communities at Colchester Borough Council, said the Tesco Extra store had made improvements and was no longer using the chemical.