Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Three men jailed over sexual abuse

Three men who groomed and sexually abused "vulnerable and impressionable" teenage girls have been jailed.

Greater Manchester Police said the trio plied the two girls with alcohol and drugs at parties, often to the point where they were intoxicated, at which point they were raped by one or more of the men.

The abuse took place between 2008 and 2011, when the victims, now both 18, were aged between 14 and 16.

Detective Chief Inspector Pete Marsh, who led the investigation, said: "This has been a long-running, difficult and complex enquiry, through which we have established these two young girls have been emotionally manipulated by a group of older men into believing the sexual abuse they were subjected to was 'normal' and acceptable behaviour.

"On numerous occasions, the girls were deliberately plied with alcohol to the point they could barely stand, before being raped by the men when they were not in a fit state to be able to even try and stop them."

Shamin Uddin, 26, from Ardwick, Manchester, was jailed for 19 years at Manchester Crown Court after being found guilty of two counts of rape, two of attempted rape and one of sexual activity with a girl aged 13 to 15. Robert Jackson, 23, also of Ardwick, was jailed for 12 years after being found guilty of rape.

Giash Uddin, 27, from Macclesfield, Cheshire, was sentenced to six years in prison, having been found guilty of sexual activity with a girl aged 13 to 15. The men were found guilty of the offences at an earlier court hearing.

Greater Manchester Police said that on one occasion, one of the girls had been sick after drinking a lot of alcohol and went to lie down on a bed, which is when Shamin Uddin raped her. The same girl had been drinking at a house party on another occasion when Jackson raped her in a bedroom.

The force said that on another night, the second victim had gone to sleep after drinking, when Shamin Uddin came into the room and raped her, with the girl barely conscious at the time. She later said her attacker had not checked whether she was awake or not, police said.

DCI Marsh added: "This group exploited the fact their two young victims were vulnerable and impressionable, bombarding them with a constant stream of attention and gifts of alcohol.

"Due to the fact the girls didn't initially see themselves as victims, at the start of our investigation they were somewhat reluctant to talk in great detail to officers. The victims have been given considerable specialist support and have since accepted what has happened to them, working with police to progress the investigation against their abusers.

"I would like to praise the courage of these two young women who have stood up and given evidence against these despicable men at court, meaning they are no longer free to prey on other vulnerable young girls such as themselves."


From Belfast Telegraph