Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Tomlinson 'fairly calm' before push

Ian Tomlinson looked "out of it" and "wasted" minutes before he was shoved to the ground by a police officer at the G20 protests, an inquest has been told.

The 47-year-old newspaper seller appeared calm but in his own world as a police van sounded its horn at him to get out of the way, witnesses said.

James Stone, a director of investment in the City, was about to visit his gym as he spotted Mr Tomlinson in front of a row of police officers.

"I remember looking at my watch and seeing that it was 7.15. I saw Mr Tomlinson and thought to myself, 'Boy, does he look wasted'. He was looking back towards the police and bank. I remember that Mr Tomlinson had his arms to his side with a very out-of-it expression on his face."

Mr Stone did not see Mr Tomlinson being pushed to the ground about 10 to 15 minutes later by Pc Simon Harwood.

Warren Cameron, an IT network support worker, said he appeared "fairly calm" and "not agitated" as police attempted to usher him away from a cordon.

Family members were again in attendance as the second day's evidence heard from eyewitnesses who saw Mr Tomlinson before he died. His widow Julia wept uncontrollably on Tuesday as fresh footage was screened of Mr Tomlinson's last moments.

CCTV, police helicopter footage and handheld video recordings showed Mr Tomlinson cutting a lonely figure as he staggered away from a police cordon after being hit with a baton on the fringes of the anti-summit demonstration in London in 2009.

Mr Tomlinson, wearing a grey Millwall FC T-shirt, was seen gesturing to police and appearing angry after being sent tumbling to the ground on April 1. He staggered about 100 metres and collapsed in Cornhill, near St Michael's Alley, where he was pronounced dead 40 minutes later.

Pc Harwood, a member of the Met's territorial support group, was originally spared prosecution but faces being sacked under misconduct proceedings. The jury, sitting at the International Dispute Resolution Centre in Fleet Street, London, has been told the Crown Prosecution Service could yet review its decision not to pursue charges against officers.


From Belfast Telegraph