| 15.5°C Belfast

Tory MP badly burned in garden bonfire accident

Close

Injuries: Gordon Henderson. Photo: Gordon Henderson/PA Wire

Injuries: Gordon Henderson. Photo: Gordon Henderson/PA Wire

PA

Injuries: Gordon Henderson. Photo: Gordon Henderson/PA Wire

An MP has been left with burns to 30% of his body after a bonfire exploded as he poured petrol on it to get it started.

Tory MP Gordon Henderson (68) said he was left in "agony" following the accident that left him in hospital for 10 days.

He had built a new bonfire enclosure in his garden and used petrol to get the fire going. But fumes from the petrol exploded.

"My hair caught fire and I was badly burned on my face, back, sides, chest, both arms and right leg. In fact, my left leg was the only part to escape (relatively) unscathed," he said.

"Thankfully, there was a hosepipe close by and my wife Louise had the good sense to immediately douse me with water."

Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required


Top Videos



Privacy