Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Tributes to campsite tragedy girl

The family of a teenager killed in a campsite tragedy thought to have been caused by a disposable barbecue have spoken of their "unimaginable sadness" at her death.

In a statement issued through police, relatives of Hannah Thomas-Jones described the 14-year-old's death as a tragic accident and paid tribute to her as a talented pianist and sportswoman.

Hannah, from Handforth, near Wilmslow, Cheshire, was pronounced dead after paramedics were called to a campsite in Bucknell, south Shropshire, on Sunday morning.

Her 11-year-old brother Ben Thomas-Jones, mother Danielle and step-father Phil were taken to the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning but have now been discharged.

The relatives' statement, issued on behalf of all family members, including Hannah's natural father Rick Thomas, confirmed that the family group had booked into the campsite on Saturday.

The statement read: "We all went to bed at around 10.30pm on Saturday. We began to get concerned the following morning due to a lack of activity in Danielle and Phil's tent.

"Upon entering the tent we realised something was dreadfully wrong. We immediately ran to the Baron of Beef pub to raise the alarm and contacted the emergency services.

"The occupants of a nearby tent also assisted in performing CPR on a member of the family and this continued until the emergency services arrived."

In their tribute to Hannah, the family members added: "Hannah was a beautiful, intelligent, talented sister, daughter, cousin and granddaughter.

"Hannah will be forever in our and many people's memories. The joy that she gave in the short period she graced this earth was a blessing to all. We miss and love her so very, very much."


From Belfast Telegraph