Trump sets deadline for handover of businesses to two sons
Donald Trump has said he will leave his businesses to his sons before January 20 in order to focus on running the US as president.
In a series of tweets sent out overnight, the Republican said his sons, Don and Eric, along with other executives, will manage the companies, adding: "No new deals will be done during my term(s) in office."
He said: "Even though I am not mandated by law to do so, I will be leaving my businesses before January 20th so that I can focus full time on the ... presidency. Two of my children, Don and Eric, plus executives, will manage them. No new deals will be done during my term(s) in office.
"I will hold a press conference in the near future to discuss the business, Cabinet picks and all other topics of interest. Busy times!"
The president-elect has faced questions over the potential for a conflict of interest between his role in the White House and his business empire.
Mr Trump had been scheduled to hold a news conference this week on the future of his business empire, but it has been postponed until next month as his legal team requires more time to transfer control of the Trump Organisation.