Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Tumble dryer warning after tower block blaze

By Scott D'Arcy

Homeowners with faulty Whirlpool tumble dryers must stop using them immediately after one of the machines was found to be the cause of a huge tower block blaze, fire chiefs have said.

London Fire Brigade renewed its campaign to make white goods safer following a "painstaking" investigation into the blaze in an 18-storey building in Shepherd's Bush in August, which required 120 firefighters to bring it under control.

The brigade said it believed a faulty Indesit tumble dryer was the cause, adding that parent company Whirlpool should change its advice to customers so that any dryers waiting to be modified are not used.

A reported 5.3 million dryers by Whirlpool brands Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda between April 2004 and September 2015 are subject to a safety notice about the fire risk, which is caused by excess fluff coming into contact with the heating element.

London Fire Brigade's director of operations Dave Brown said: "This fire has highlighted just how dangerous faulty white goods can be. Disappointingly though, Whirlpool have still not changed their advice to consumers. We are now appealing once again for them to change their advice and bring it into line with our own."

In a statement, Whirlpool repeated its previous advice to customers, advising them to check if their dryer is affected and register for a modification kit if necessary.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph