Two Grenfell Tower victims identified from remains by dental records and DNA
The remains of Hesham Rahman, 57, and Ernie Vital, 50, were discovered on the second-highest floor of the high-rise.
Two men who died in the Grenfell Tower fire were identified by dental records and DNA from human remains found on the 23rd floor.
The remains of Hesham Rahman, 57, and Ernie Vital, 50, were discovered on the second-highest floor of the high-rise, Westminster Coroner’s Court heard.
Mr Rahman, who lived alone on the floor where his remains were found, was identified following dental examination, Coroner’s Officer Eric Sword said.
He was said to have last made contact with his family at around 3am when he told them he could smell smoke.
Mr Rahman, whose post-mortem examination took place on August 9, was reported to have had diabetes, making it difficult for him to walk down stairs.
Westminster Coroner Fiona Wilcox said: “I understand this gentleman was in his own flat.”
Mr Vital, believed to have lived on the 16th floor with his mother Marjorie, 68, who also perished in the blaze, was identified by his DNA.
The family of the 50-year-old, who worked in catering, said he was a “proud, humble, mature and independent man”, a “loyal son” and a “law-abiding citizen”.
His post-mortem examination was held on August 14.
At least half a dozen family members sat in silence as Ms Wilcox heard the men’s preliminary cause of death was “consistent with the effects of fire”.
Expressing her condolences to those gathered, she opened and adjourned both cases – bringing the total number of inquests opened so far to 54.
At least 80 people died in the June 14 blaze.
To date 57 people have been formally identified as having died following the fire at Grenfell Tower, including baby Logan Gomes who was stillborn in hospital the day of the fire.
The inquests of two further victims are expected next week.
It comes as the family of another victim, Dennis Murphy, said they had been left with a “gaping hole in our hearts that can never be filled” after he was formally identified.
The 56-year-old is believed to have become trapped on the 14th floor of the burning block.
In a statement released through the Metropolitan Police on Wednesday, his family spoke of “an agonising 10 weeks” between the disaster and his formal identification.
They said: “The pain, loss and sorrow we feel is indescribable and we have been left devastated with a gaping hole in our hearts that can never be filled.
“To us he was an inspiration and an amazing, selfless, caring person and we feel lucky and blessed that he was part of our family, and his warmth and love will stay with us forever.
“What really matters to us is what he stood for – family, friends, community, loyalty and love – and our lives will never be the same without him.”