Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Underground cable blasts injure two

Two people have been taken to hospital suffering from burns after a faulty underground cable set off a series of small explosions.

The man and woman were treated for arm and facial injuries after the blasts near Crewe railway station in Cheshire.

Manhole covers were blown off in the incident in Nantwich Road at about 8.20pm on Wednesday. It caused a power failure that led to the railway station being temporarily closed while emergency services made the area safe. Passengers experienced delays as trains were held outside the station.

A Cheshire Police spokeswoman said: "At this time police have no information to suggest anything suspicious has happened and are working with British Transport Police and utility companies to establish the cause."

Scottish Power said the faulty cable belonged to the company and that 3,000 properties in the area around Crewe station lost power at around 8pm. Power was restored to all but around 10 of the properties by 10pm.

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph