Warning on home-made play dough
Parents have been warned that home-made play dough can contain enough salt to poison children and pets.
The National Poisons Information Service (NPIS) said that, while there had been no fatalities they knew of, it had received reports of pets being poisoned.
Recipes for home-made play dough found on the internet usually suggest mixing one part salt, two parts flour and one part water, then adding colouring. One gram of such a dough would contain approximately 250mg of salt.
Commercially available play dough also contains salt, but not in such high concentrations.
Prof Simon Thomas, NPIS director, said: "A child would need to eat about one gram of pure salt to cause concern; that equates to around four grams of home-made play dough."