We do like to be beside the seaside: coastal towns popular for property searches
Swansea, Brighton, Margate and Torquay are among the most popular hotspots for people viewing properties for sale online, Zoopla said.
Seaside destinations including Swansea, Brighton, Margate and Torquay are among the most popular hotspots for people viewing properties for sale online, according to a website.
Zoopla made the findings after analysing unique page viewings for homes listed for sale outside London over the past 12 months.
The research found that homes by the coast piqued house hunters’ curiosity, with Swansea in South Wales identified as the most popular.
The research also looked separately at property searches in London, where the NW3 Hampstead postcode was the most searched area, with an average house price of just under £1.5 million, followed by the Wimbledon postcode of SW19, where homes were typically priced at £814,650.
Laura Howard, a consumer expert at Zoopla, said that at just under £175,000, the average house price in Swansea is relatively affordable – and falls below the land transaction tax main residential threshold – Wales’s equivalent of stamp duty.
Here are the biggest property search hotspots across Britain excluding London, according to Zoopla, with the specific postcode and average house price:
1. Swansea, SA4, £174,551
2. Llanelli, SA15, Carmarthenshire, £137,046
3. Leicester, LE5, Leicestershire, £217,675
4. Preston, PR2, Lancashire, £180,658
5. Stoke-on-Trent, ST3, Staffordshire, £145,879
6. Newcastle-under-Lyme, ST5, Staffordshire, £184,311
7. Dumfries, DG1, Dumfries and Galloway, £159,637
8. Coventry, CV6, West Midlands, £163,339
9. Inverness, IV2, Highland, £206,338
10. Dunfermline, KY11, Fife, £185,435
11. Brighton, BN2, East Sussex, £383,658
12. Margate, CT9, Kent, £235,284
13. Bolton, BL1, Greater Manchester, £168,724
14. Ammanford, SA18, Carmarthenshire, £143,829
15. Nottingham, NG9, £226,455
16. Torquay, TQ1, Devon, £246,898
17. Neath, SA10, Neath Port Talbot, £159,156
18. Dartford, DA1, Kent, £306,844
19. Gloucester, GL2, Gloucestershire, £265,540
20. Maidenhead, SL6, Berkshire, £567,132