Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Woman arrested over suicide bombing

The wife of a man who carried out a suicide bombing in Sweden last year has been arrested by police.

It is understood Mona Thwany, the wife of Taimour Abdulwahab al-Abdaly who killed himself and injured two people in Stockholm in December, was arrested in Luton.

Scotland Yard confirmed that a 28-year-old woman had been arrested on suspicion of carrying out preparatory acts for a terrorist attack.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: "Counter-terrorism officers raided a residential address in Luton, Bedfordshire. A 28-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of the preparation of terrorist acts. She has been bailed until mid-November."

Abdulwahab, 28, killed himself and wounded two people in a botched attack in the Swedish capital on December 11 last year. The Swedish authorities said the failed bombing appeared "well-planned" and worked on the assumption that the Iraq-born Bedfordshire University graduate was helped by others.

An audio message had been emailed to police and a Swedish news agency before the attack in which a man, thought to be Abdulwahab, warns that "we are for real and do now exist among you Europeans".

There was speculation among counter-terrorism experts that a cough on the recording, believed to have been sent from the extremist's mobile phone, may have been made by another person.

Shortly after the attack, officers from Scotland Yard's counter terrorism command searched Abdulwahab's rented three-bedroom home in Argyll Avenue, Luton. At the time, his beauty stylist wife Mona told reporters she had no idea of his plans and was "devastated". Soon after the attempted suicide bombing, Swedish officials said Abdulwahab apparently carried out his mission alone but had backing from others.

Abdulwahab left his wife and three children at their family home to travel to Sweden several weeks before his planned attack.

Swedish investigators said he visited his family in Tranas, Sweden, where his father was celebrating his birthday. But on Saturday, December 11, he loaded his white Audi with gas canisters and travelled to Stockholm to wreak carnage on streets packed with Christmas shoppers. Evidence from the scene indicated that the car failed to explode and al-Abdaly was killed about 300 yards away when explosives strapped to his chest detonated.


From Belfast Telegraph