Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Woman beheaded in a back garden in north London: 'Attack not terrorist related'

A woman has been beheaded in a back garden in London.

The victim was found collapsed at an address in Nightingale Road, Edmonton, north London, just after 1pm today.

Armed police have arrested a 25-year-old man on suspicion of murder, Scotland Yard said, with one officer suffering a broken wrist during the arrest.

Taser stun guns were also fired.

Police said they did not believe there was a terrorist motive, with the Metropolitan Police homicide and major crime command leading the investigation.

Detective Chief Inspector John Sandlin said "This was a highly visible attack in broad daylight on a residential street. I can understand why this may cause people concern. However, we are confident that we are not looking for anyone else at this stage.

"Whilst it is too early to speculate on what the motive behind this attack was, I am confident, based on the information currently available to me, that it is not terrorist-related.

"Local officers and specialist detectives are at the scene and will remain there for many hours to come.

"Specially-trained family liaison officers will be deployed to support the family. We request that their privacy is respected at this very difficult time."

A police spokesman said the force was not prepared to comment on the exact nature of the woman's injuries or the type of weapon or weapons used.

A police cordon was in place sealing off a section of Nightingale Road.

An ambulance was parked outside one house which was taped off and one of the front windows was smashed. A uniformed officer stood outside and scenes of crime personnel were gathered nearby.

It was not confirmed if that was the address where the incident happened.

Residents nearby told of their shock.

May Yapp, a retired clerical officer, said: "My husband was working in the garden and he called and said come and have a look.

"We saw a lot of policeman and a helicopter. They smashed a window. We were shocked."

Another local resident said armed police were at the scene.

Locals said they had been told to evacuate.

Muhammed Yusuf said police knocked on the door.

He said: "They just said 'You've got to get out of the house'. Of course I was worried."

His son Ahmed,19, said: "At first there were two police cars, then all of a sudden there were 20.

"The police said to drop everything. I said 'What's going on?' and they said there's a guy jumping over gardens."

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph