Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Woman blinded while trying to stop street attack

A woman has been left blind in one eye after she and her partner intervened to help a man who was being attacked.

The 23-year-old woman lost the sight in her left eye after she was punched in the face, knocking her to the ground, while trying to stop the assault by two men in Wigan.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said the woman and her 25-year-old partner had left the Goose Green Club in Little Lane and were heading in the direction of Billinge Road when they saw a man being set upon.

As her partner walked towards the incident and shouted at the attackers to stop, the two men then turned on him and began punching him as he tried to protect himself.

The woman shouted at the attackers but was also punched by one of the men, leaving her with "life-changing injuries", before the two offenders took off in the direction of the club.

Police said the victim also fled.

The attack happened just before midnight on Saturday April 9.

The couple later attended hospital, where the woman underwent surgery but has now permanently lost her sight in her left eye.

Her partner suffered bruises and a cut to his right hand.

Detective Constable Brian Johnston, from GMP's Wigan division, said: "This couple are completely innocent and it is heart-breaking that, as a result of them simply trying to help someone else in distress, this woman has now been left with life-changing injuries and is blind in one eye.

"If you were the man being assaulted by these two men, then please get in touch with the police, as you may be able to help us identify these two offenders so we can take these men off our streets."

The first man is described as aged 20 to 30, with a peculiar haircut - the side shaved and the middle left long. He was wearing a white T-shirt and jeans.

The second man is also said to be aged 20 to 30.

Anyone with information should call police on 0161 856 7182 or the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.


From Belfast Telegraph