Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Woman eaten by cannibal killer in Welsh hotel was 22-year-old Next sales assistant Cerys Yemm

Matthew Williams was found eating parts of the woman's face and died after police used a Taser to try to stop him

Cannibal killer Matthew Williams lured his 22 year-old victim back to his hotel room after meeting her in a bar before attacking her and eating her face and an eye, it has emerged.

Williams told the woman - named on Friday as Cerys Yemm, a sales assistant at Next - that he would call her a taxi home after meeting her on a night out. But once back at the B&B where he was staying, he launched an horrific attack.

Williams, 34, is reported to have been eating the eyeball and face of the 22-year-old woman, who died of her injuries. Police confirmed they had used a 50,000-volt Taser on Williams.

Security staff at a hostel for the homeless in Argoed, South Wales, became suspicious when Williams refused to let them enter the room. They are said to have forced entry, before calling the police who knocked Williams to the ground with a Taser gun.

Gwent Police confirmed that the man was shot with a Taser and then arrested, and that while under arrest the man “became unresponsive”.

Williams had been released from prison two weeks ago, after serving half of a five-year prison sentence for a violent attack on his partner.

Williams – who is known locally by the nickname Fifi – was staying at the former Sirhowy Arms Hotel, which operated as a bail hostel. He is said to have only just met his victim before asking her back to the hostel for a drink.

Police confirmed that Williams and his victim were known to each other.

Police were carrying out forensic tests on a silver BMW believed to belong to Williams which was parked outside the hostel.

Locals have reportedly nicknamed the man “Hannibal Lecter” after the fictional cannibal character.

A Gwent Police spokeswoman said: “While under arrest, the man became unresponsive. Officers and paramedics administered first aid but he has since been pronounced deceased.

We were called at 1.23am yesterday after a report that a man was attacking a woman.

“On arrival both the male and female were still at the location.“A Taser was discharged and a man was arrested.

“The woman was located with injuries and has since been pronounced deceased.”

Gwent Police have refused to provide any further detail on how the pair died or confirm if they were staying at the hostel.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission has been called in to oversee the inquiry because a Taser was used.

A spokeswoman for the watchdog said: “The IPCC is independently investigating an incident overnight in Blackwood in which a man and a woman have died.

“Gwent Police referred the incident to the IPCC.”

A murder investigation has been opened regarding the woman’s death.

Source: Irish Independent

Read more: Man found eating woman's eyeball killed by 50,000-volt stun gun blast

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph