Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Woman in hospital with facial injuries after dog attack

A woman is being treated in hospital after being attacked by a dog in south-east London.

The woman, in her 30s, was found with severe injuries to her face after the attack in Woolwich, said police.

An air ambulance was called but not needed, and the woman was driven to hospital by ambulance. She is in a "serious but stable" condition, the Met Police said.

Officers were called by paramedics at around 4.30pm on Friday to Wilmount Street.

Police seized the dog and took it to a nearby kennel. No arrests have been made.

A London Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: "We were called at 4.25pm to reports of an incident on Wilmount Street, SE18. We sent an ambulance crew, a single responder in a car, an incident response officer and London's Air Ambulance. The first of our medics were on scene in seven minutes.

"We treated a woman in her 30s for facial injuries and stabilised her at the scene. She was taken to a major trauma centre as a priority by ground ambulance - escorted by the doctor from the air ambulance."

Residents said there were "police everywhere".

One man, who only wanted to give his surname, said he knew the woman who was attacked.

Mr Bates said: "There was more police here today than during the riots. I know her and her son - she's got a little Jack Russell dog. I would be surprised if it was that little dog."

He said the woman lived on Wilmount Street, adding : "She was outside of her own flat. The police were everywhere - you would have thought she had been shot."

Neighbours said the woman lived in the Eardley Point block of flats on the Armstrong Estate, which is at the end of Wilmount Street.

One next-door neighbour, Idris Romani, 19, said the woman had lived there for more than 10 years.

He added: "She's a nice woman, I always see her walking her dog with her boyfriend. The police were not letting anyone out of the flats or on the balcony."


From Belfast Telegraph