Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Woman nearly blinded by Christmas card glitter

The 49-year-old attended Singleton Hospital in Swansea suffering from a painful, reddened eye, loss of vision and swollen eyelid.

A woman was nearly blinded by a Christmas card when a piece of glitter worked its way into her eyeball.

The 49-year-old attended the ophthalmology department of Singleton Hospital in Swansea suffering from a painful, reddened eye, loss of vision and swollen eyelid.

Doctors spotted a lesion on the patient’s cornea and initially suspected it to be caused by a herpes simplex infection, according to a case study published in the BMJ Case Reports journal.

bpanews_407579c5-1b7b-47d1-8023-2e5cf531572b_embedded1129825
The patient remembered getting glitter in her eye when it rubbed off a Christmas card (John Stillwell/PA)

But when the lesion was examined under a powerful microscope, a shiny surface was spotted inside.

The patient then remembered getting glitter in her eye when it rubbed off a Christmas card.

The glitter had formed into a clump causing a lesion that mimicked the symptoms of a herpes infection, the report said.

The report warned doctors to always ask about the cause of a possible trauma to the eye, even if the symptoms seemed to clearly indicate a common infection.

“The lesion may have been easily misdiagnosed as a herpetic simplex infection by non-specialists for which treatment would have been topical antiviral ointment instead of removal and antibiotics,” the report said.

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph