Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Worker killed by electric shock

A contractor has died after being electrocuted in a shopping centre.

Kent Police said they believed the man died after suffering an electric shock in a Marks and Spencer (M&S) store in the Royal Victoria Place shopping centre in Tunbridge Wells.

Police said the death was being treated as suspicious while officers worked out the full circumstances of what happened.

The store was not evacuated as the scene was not in a public area of the shop, said a spokeswoman. The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

Tunbridge Wells Borough Council have been advised of the incident and their health and safety officer will be liaising with police.

The spokeswoman said: "We were called just before 3.30pm to the store in Calverley Road.

"It is believed a man suffered an electric shock. He was pronounced dead at the scene. The air ambulance also attended. It is being treated as a suspicious death until the full circumstances are known."

The spokeswoman said police were called by paramedics from the South East Coast ambulance service who arrived at the scene first.

An M&S spokeswoman confirmed that a "tragic incident" had taken place.

She said: "There has been a tragic incident at the store today and our thoughts are with the family concerned. We are now concentrating on doing all we can to assist the emergency services with their investigation and as such are unable to comment any further at this stage."


From Belfast Telegraph