| 3.6°C Belfast

Young mum buried alive in box tells of nightmare flashbacks

A woman who was buried alive by her partner has described how she still has nightmares that he will return to kill her.

Marcin Kasprzak was found guilty yesterday of attempting to murder Michelina Lewandowska (27) by a jury that heard how he attacked her with a stun gun and then bound and gagged her before burying her in a cardboard box in woodland near their home in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

After the case, Ms Lewandowska, who used her engagement ring to cut herself free, recalled how she thought she was going to die in her cardboard coffin.

She said: "During my time inside my shallow grave I feared that my life was at an end and I was going to die.

"I prayed to God to help me to survive so that I could look after my young son."

Ms Lewandowska said: "I still have nightmares that Marcin will come back to find me and kill me. I really hope that no one will ever experience what I went through on that day in May, at the hands of a man whom I loved and trusted."

Ms Lewandowska was not in court yesterday but she was praised for her "immense courage".

Leeds Crown Court heard how Kasprzak used tape to bind and gag Ms Lewandowska after using the stun gun on her twice.

She then agreed to get inside the large cardboard box, which had originally been used to package a computer.

With help of his friend Patryk Borys (18), Kasprzak then put the box in a car and drove it to woodlands near Woodsome Hall Golf Club, south of Huddersfield.

Ms Lewandowska was left in the ground under soil, leaves and a 40kg tree branch.

The court heard that Ms Lewandowska, who is Polish, was attacked by fellow Pole Kasprzak because their relationship had come to an end and he wanted their three-year-old son, Jakub.

Prosecutor Jonathan Sharp had told court: "In a nutshell, this case is about a young man who got bored with his partner, the mother of his child, and he decided to get rid of her."

Kasprzak told the court he only meant to scare Ms Lewandowska and did not intend to kill her. He was found guilty of attempted murder by an 11-1 majority.

Borys was cleared of attempted murder. He did not give evidence during the trial. Both men admitted kidnap at a previous hearing.

Judge Peter Collier told them they will be sentenced on January 13 and ordered a report to be prepared on Borys.

Belfast Telegraph