Here’s what happened when the RSPCA was called to reports of a ‘deadly’ scorpion in Lincolnshire
The caller was extremely concerned about the scorpion … which turned out to be a rubber toy.
RSPCA officers responding to reports of a dangerous scorpion spotted in Lincolnshire were surprised to find that the animal in question was actually made of rubber.
Worried members of the public mistook the red children’s toy for a terrifying insect on the pavement in Grantham.
When animal collection officer Paula Jones got close, she quickly realised that the emergency call was not so deadly after all.
Jones said: “We had a concerned lady get in touch with our 24-hour emergency hotline to report the scorpion to us and ask for help. She explained that a child had spotted the creature before they went to check.
“Some types of scorpions are highly venomous, making them potentially very dangerous.
“The callers were really concerned about the public’s safety so they used cones to cordon off the area and stood out in the street for two hours to ensure no one went near it.”
All’s well that ends well for this toy scorpion, however, as it now keeps Jones company on long drives.
Jones said: “It was quite funny after we realised it was a child’s toy and wouldn’t be a threat to anyone! But we really appreciate the concern of the woman and the efforts she went to.
“Cecil the scorpion is now my van buddy and keeps me company on the road!”