Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

2,000 foetuses found at Thai temple

Thai police investigating a strong smell emanating from a Buddhist temple have found more than 2,000 foetuses hidden in the complex's morgue that appear to have come from illegal abortion clinics.

During an initial investigation at the temple in Bangkok on Tuesday, police discovered piles of plastic bags containing more than 300 foetuses. Police Lt Col Kanathud Musiganont said workers have pulled more bodies from the temple's mortuary.

More than 2,000 have been unearthed from vaults where bodies are traditionally interred pending cremation, which under some circumstances can take place years after death.

Abortion is illegal in Thailand except under three conditions - if a woman is raped, if the pregnancy affects her health or if the foetus is abnormal.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said that more must be done to prevent illegal abortions but that his government would not revise the abortion-related laws. He said his government has discussed the matter and believed that "the existing laws are appropriate and flexible enough".

Several people have already been arrested in the case: two undertakers for hiding bodies to conceal the cause of death and an abortion clinic employee on charges of operating an unlicensed medical clinic and performing abortions.

The undertakers could each be sent to prison for up to one year and fined 2,000 baht (£42). The clinic employee - who police said confessed she had delivered the foetuses to the mortuary workers starting early this year - could face up to five years in jail and a fine of 10,000 baht (£209).

Police Col Sombat Milintachinda said the newly found foetuses seemed to have been kept for a longer period of time than those found earlier in the week.

According to the police, Suchart Poomee, 38, one of the undertakers being questioned by the police, confessed on Tuesday he had been hired by illegal abortion clinics to destroy the foetuses.

He said he had been collecting the foetuses since November last year. It was not clear why they had not yet been cremated.


From Belfast Telegraph