Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

25 killed in 'accidental' blast

Three containers filled with explosives meant for road construction detonated outside a police station in eastern Sri Lanka, killing 25 people, most of them police officers, in a blast government officials called an "accident".

Military spokesman Major General Ubaya Medawala said he initially feared, incorrectly, that the death toll was as high as 60, in light of the enormity of the damage caused by Friday's explosion.

Images of the blast on Maharaja Television showed the police station reduced to rubble. A nearby agriculture office crowded with farmers who had come to buy fertilizer was also completely destroyed and power to the area was cut off.

"There was a big blast and smoke all over, that's all. I didn't know what was happening," said S Vathany, 42, a farmer.

Maj Gen Medawala said it was unclear what triggered the explosion of the containers, which were stored by the police station in the Batticaloa district for safety reasons.

The area was once controlled by the now-defeated Tamil Tiger rebels, who routinely carried out bombings against government and civilian targets during their 25-year insurgency.

The explosives, probably dynamite, were intended for blasting out rocks for a road construction project being carried out by a Chinese company, he said.

From time to time, workers came to the police premises to remove small amounts of explosives from the containers. The blast occurred when the workers were taking out some of the explosives, Maj Gen Medawala said.

The blast killed 16 policemen and nine civilians - including two Chinese citizens - and wounded 52 others, he said. Among the civilian casualties were farmers visiting the agriculture office and passers by.

Thyagendra Senthuran, a doctor at Chenkalady hospital near the blast site, said he has received 15 dead bodies and 20 wounded people, many with severe head wounds. "Still we are receiving bodies," he said.


From Belfast Telegraph