Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Antigua murder pair back in court

Two men who murdered a British couple on their honeymoon are due back in court - but are not expected to be sentenced until the new year.

Welsh newlyweds Ben and Catherine Mullany were both shot in the head while on the holiday island of Antigua in 2008. Four weeks after witnessing the couple's marriage, their parents were attending their funerals.

Kaniel Martin, 23, and Avie Howell, 21, were convicted of the murders, and that of a local shopkeeper in almost identical circumstances more than four months ago.

Since then, the pair have been brought back to Antigua's High Court on a number of occasions - with the victims' families hoping they will spend the rest of their lives behind bars. However sentencing has yet to take place, following a series of delays.

On Thursday, Martin and Howell's barristers are expected to give mitigation following the completion of psychiatric reports, but East Caribbean Supreme Court Judge Richard Floyd admitted he would need more time to consider "matters fully".

University of the West of England physiotherapy student Mr Mullany and his doctor wife went on honeymoon to Antigua two days after their marriage in July 2008. Their two-week holiday at a luxury beachside hotel had been a wedding gift from family and friends.

On what was due to be their last full day on the island, killers Martin and Howell burst into the couple's chalet at Cocos hotel at 5am. After forcing the 31-year-olds at gunpoint to kneel in front of the bed, the pair shot the newlyweds in the back of the head before stealing an inexpensive mobile phone, a cheap digital camera and a small quantity of cash.

Morriston Hospital doctor Mrs Mullany died instantly, while her husband was flown back to Wales on a life support machine via a specialist air ambulance. Despite the best efforts of his wife's medical colleagues, he died a week after the shooting.

While still at large, and less than a fortnight later, Martin and Howell shot 43-year-old Woneta Anderson at her shop - this time stealing a handful of phone cards.

Martin and Howell were finally brought to justice on July 27 this year, which was the third anniversary of the Mullanys' shootings, when a jury convicted both men of all three murders.

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph