Breivik to remain in isolation
A court has extended the isolation detention of the man who massacred 77 people in Norway by another four weeks.
The Oslo District Court said Anders Behring Breivik will continue to be kept in complete isolation by police, partly due to fear of him tampering with evidence and contacting possible accomplices.
Breivik has admitted the July 22 killings with a truck bomb in Oslo and a shooting rampage on an island nearby.
He appeared at the closed hearing under heavy police protection. His earlier request to wear a long black tuxedo to the session had been rejected by the Oslo District Court, which described it as "unnecessarily disturbing and provocative".
The hearing came as survivors, relatives and close friends of the victims were visiting Utoya on Friday and Saturday to grieve at the island massacre site. Some 1,500 people are expected on the island.
Breivik's lawyer Geir Lippestad said he appeared calm, but showed no remorse, adding: "In his explanations he says these acts were gruesome, but necessary, and he hasn't changed his view on that.
"He said it was tough to be in isolation. He didn't say that much more. It's natural to feel that it's tough to sit isolated in a small room," Mr Lippestad said after the 30-minute hearing
One of the lawyers representing the victims, Sigurd Klomsaet, said Breivik appeared to lack any humility. "His comprehension for the pain and the hurt he has caused others is completely absent. Instead, he is fully occupied with his own situation," said Mr Klomsaet..
Breivik denies criminal guilt because he believes the massacre was necessary to save Norway and the rest of Europe. He said the attacks were an attempt at cultural revolution, aimed at purging Europe of Muslims and punishing politicians who have embraced multiculturalism.
If found guilty on terrorism charges, Breivik could be sentenced to 21 years in prison. An alternative custody arrangement - if he is still considered a danger to the public - could keep him behind bars indefinitely.