Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

British student stabbed to death by crazed terrorist in Jerusalem is identified

By Dominic Harris

The British woman who was stabbed to death in Jerusalem yesterday has been named as Hannah Bladon.

She was attacked near the Old City as she travelled on a light rail train that was packed as Christians celebrated Good Friday and Jews marked Passover.

Mark Regev, Israel’s ambassador to the UK, said: “My thoughts are with the family and friends of Hannah Bladon, who was murdered in a senseless act of terror.”

Ms Bladon, a student at the University of Birmingham, had been on an exchange programme with the Hebrew University of Jerusalem since January.

It said: “The Hebrew University and the Rothberg International School express our deep sorrow over the murder. We extend our deepest condolences to her family and share in their sorrow.

“The university condemns such acts of terror that harm innocent people, and especially a student who came to study and widen her academic horizons.

“Hannah came here as part of a student exchange from the University of Birmingham. She began her studies at the end of January and was supposed to continue her studies until the end of the current semester.”

The Rothberg International School said Ms Bladon (20) had previously been on a religious studies course in Birmingham.

She had been studying bible studies, archaeology and Hebrew during her exchange programme.

The Rothberg International School added: “Her friends described her as an inquisitive and adventurous student who made the most of her opportunity to learn and experience life in Israel. Her family has been notified.”

Ms Bladon was attacked by a Palestinian man who pulled a knife from his bag and repeatedly stabbed her as the tram neared Jerusalem’s City Hall. An off-duty policeman pulled an emergency brake and tried to intervene.

Paramedics treated her at the scene and rushed her to hospital but she later died.

A pregnant women and a 50-year-old man were also injured when the tram came to a sudden stop and in the aftermath of the attack.

Police detained a 57-year-old man, and superintendent Micky Rosenfeld said the attack was carried out by an “Arab terrorist” from east Jerusalem.

President Reuven Rivlin said he was “filled with sadness” over the death. He added: “This week, thousands have come through the ancient gates of Jerusalem to celebrate the feasts of Passover and Easter throughout the city, while the security forces work to ensure the safety of the dear residents and visitors. And so we will continue to do. Terror can never overcome us. Terror will never destroy our lives.”


Israeli intelligence services Shin Bet said the attacker had a history of mental illness, that he recently tried to take his own life in hospital and that he was convicted of sexually abusing his daughter in 2011.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph