Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

British students killed in Borneo after 'row in pub'

By Staff Reporter

Two British medical students have been stabbed to death in Borneo following reports of a row in a bar.

Newcastle University students Neil Dalton and Aidan Brunger, both 22, were on the Malaysian part of the island on attachment to a hospital in Kuching, the university's acting vice-chancellor, Professor Tony Stevenson, said.

Reports from the island claim the Britons were attacked and killed in the street by a gang of four local men after a row in a bar in Kuching early yesterday morning.

Their devastated families were too upset to speak as their neighbours and university paid tribute to the men.

Mr Brunger's family, who live in Kent, issued a photograph of the student dressed in a white doctor's coat outside Sarawak General Hospital.

Professor Jane Calvert, Dean of Undergraduate Studies for Newcastle University Medical School, said the fourth-year students were "excellent" and "highly committed", and were both doing well in their studies.

She said: "We heard this morning about the tragic death of two of our students who were working out in east Malaysia.

"They were doing what thousands of medical students do every year, they were on an elective to experience clinical practice in a different setting, to learn from that and enhance their practice when they came back.

"We are all so shocked and saddened by this.

"They were excellent students, they were doing really well with their studies. They were highly committed and coming back next year to work as doctors.

"Aidan was aspiring to do some medical research on his return. Neil was going straight into his final year and it's such a tragic thing to occur."

The Malaysian state news agency Bernama reported that the attack happened at 4.15am in Kuching in Sarawak province, in the west of the Malaysian part of Borneo.

Sarawak deputy police commissioner Datuk Dr Chai Khin Chung told the agency that the fight broke out after an argument in a bar over the students being too noisy.

The suspects followed the students when they left and attacked them after pursuing them in a car.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph