Canada cop killer suspect arrested in huge manhunt
A witness said that 24-year-old Justin Bourque told officers at the time of his arrest: "I'm done."
Police received a tip that led them to a wooded residential part of Moncton, New Brunswick, where they found Bourque, who is suspected of carrying out the deadliest attack on the ranks of Canada's national police force in nearly a decade.
Bourque was allegedly armed with high-powered rifles and had been spotted three times on Thursday, eluding the massive manhunt that all but shut down the normally tranquil city of about 60,000 people east of the Maine border.
Nearly 300 police officers were involved in the search for Bourque, who was seen going in and out of a wooded area.
RCMP Supt Marlene Snowman said Bourque was arrested in a wooded Moncton area at 12.10am without incident.
She said he had no weapons on his person, but they were found nearby. Charges will be brought later.
Michelle Thibodeau said she saw the man arrested in the front yard of her home and heard him say "I'm done", before his arrest by armed officers.
Roger Brown, commanding officer of RCMP in New Brunswick, choked back tears as he addressed the media.
"Fortunately, most people will never have to experience what our officers have gone through in the last two days," he said.
"I can't dig deep enough to explain the sadness that we all feel.It's been a very challenging 30 hours for the officers that got this job done," Supt Snowman said.
"It will take some time to heal, but together we will get there."
Supt Snowman and other RCMP officials did not release any more details about Bourque's arrest or the circumstances of the shooting, citing their ongoing investigation.
Details will be made public in court, she said.
Police have not spoken about a possible motive for the shootings.