Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Death toll mounts in Egypt as security services fire on Muslim Brotherhood supporters

Army helicopters hover over Cairo as forces continue bloody crackdown

By Alastair Beach

Cairo is convulsed by deadly gun battles this evening as the consequences of Wednesday’s mass killings reverberated around the country.

With army helicopters hovering high over the city centre and security services marshalling ferocious firepower to continue their bloody crackdown, Egypt looks in ever greater danger of sinking into greater violence.

There is no confirmed death toll at present, but dozens of civilians are reported to have been killed. The violence has spread across the country, with deaths reported in numerous provinces, including eight in Damietta, and four in Ismailia.

“The army and the police are killing their own people,” said Mohamed Mahmoud, an Islamist who had made his way to central Cairo for a rally this afternoon. With bursts of machine gun fire rattling around the central train station, he told The Independent that “this is not our country any more”.

The worst violence erupted in Ramses Square, the sprawling plaza in central Cairo which had been the focus of demonstrations called by supporters of toppled President Mohamed Morsi.

But in a sign that the civil unrest which has gripped Egypt for much of the past two years may have reached a tipping point, other neighbourhoods were also caught up in the chaos.

Garden City, the leafy Nileside enclave dreamed up by British colonialists, was echoing to the sound of gunfire. Residents hastily shuttered windows as Egypt’s security services carried out operations nearby.

Witnesses also reported hearing gunfire in Zamalek, the plush upper-class island which is home to a Hilton hotel and dozens of upmarket boutiques.

Many Egyptians had woken up today bracing themselves for the worst. Allies of Mohamed Morsi had called for dozens of demonstrations in response to Wednesday’s bloodletting – perhaps the worst single atrocity in Egypt’s modern history.

One Brotherhood leader warned that the level of anger was such that his organisation could no longer control its followers. The Interior Ministry, meanwhile, issued a foreboding statement that police had been authorised to use lethal force against protesters who threatened state buildings.

Even for a Friday morning - the Muslim day of rest - the streets were unnervingly quiet. Soldiers in Tahrir Square, the crucible of a revolution that was once pregnant with hope and possibility, sat expectantly behind their gun turrets.

At around 1pm, after several thousand Islamist protesters had reached Ramses Square, shots rang out from the direction of a police station in a road leading off the plaza.

At times, the bursts of gunfire were intense. Choking palls of smoke from burning debris added to the confusion. A young boy, perhaps only 16, was raced to a field clinic with a chunk the size of an orange slice missing from his forehead. Blood trickled behind the scooter as he went.

While the violence continued to rage, The Independent saw at least one pro-Morsi protester firing back at the police using what appeared to be a rifle.

“The government calls all these people terrorists,” shouted Mohamed al-Adawy, 30, gesturing to the thousands of protesters packed inside the square. “They are not terrorists. They are teachers, or engineers and come from all walks of life. They are not terrorists at all.”

At the Al-Tawheed Mosque, about half a mile east of Ramses Square, shawl-wrapped corpses were being lined up one by one in a room on the top floor.

Inside the prayer hall down below, doctors frantically performed CPR on dying patients. The blood-streaked, overweight belly of one man rippled back and forth as a medic heaved with both arms on his chest.

“The police don’t have any humanity,” said Dr Hassan Sulayman. “They have killed people like animals.”

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph