Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Donald Trump hits back at accusers after harassment allegations resurface

President Donald Trump has said he is the target of "false accusations and fabricated stories of women who I don't know and/or have never met".

Mr Trump lashed out on Twitter a day after three women who previously accused him of sexual harassment shared their stories on NBC's Megyn Kelly Today.

Mr Trump says Democrats "have been unable to show any collusion with Russia" and now are "moving on" to these allegations.

He added: "Fake News!"

The women, Jessica Leeds, Samantha Holvey and Rachel Crooks, urged Congress to investigate Mr Trump's behaviour.

White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders pledged to provide a list of eyewitnesses whose accounts exonerated the president.

She did not provide the list by late Monday.

The allegations surfaced during last year's presidential campaign, but the women raised the issue again on the Kelly show on Monday and at a news conference.

"It was heartbreaking last year," Ms Holvey said.

"We're private citizens and for us to put ourselves out there to try and show America who this man is and how he views women, and for them to say, 'Eh, we don't care', it hurt."

The former beauty queen claimed that Mr Trump ogled her and other Miss USA pageant contestants in their dressing room in 2006.

Ms Crooks is a former receptionist at Trump Tower and Ms Leeds says she met Trump on a flight.

Sixteen women have come forward with a range of accusations against Mr Trump, many after the release of the Access Hollywood tape last October in which Mr Trump was caught on an open microphone bragging about groping women.

One woman, Summer Zevos, a contestant on Mr Trump's reality show, The Apprentice, sued, contending that Mr Trump's denials of her accusations amount to false and defamatory statements.

AP

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph