Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Entire Philippine city police force sacked over teenagers' killings

An entire city police force has been dismissed in metropolitan Manila after some of its members were accused over the gruesome killings of three teenagers and others were seen on surveillance cameras robbing a house.

The 1,200-strong Caloocan police force in the Philippine capital will be relieved in batches and replaced, said metropolitan Manila police chief Oscar Albayalde.

The officers will undergo 45 days of retraining, after which those facing no charges can be reassigned to other stations.

The Department of Justice has started an investigation based on a murder and torture complaint against four Caloocan policemen allegedly linked to the killing of 17-year-old student Kian delos Santos during an anti-drug raid last month.

The parents of two other teenagers - 19-year-old Carl Angelo Arnaiz and 14-year-old Reynaldo de Guzman - have also filed murder, torture and planting of evidence complaints against two Caloocan policemen.

Last week, security camera video purportedly showed 13 policemen robbing a house during an alleged drug raid.

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte's crackdown on drugs, which has left thousands of suspects dead, has come under renewed scrutiny since police gunned down Kian.

Police described him as a drug dealer who fired at officers during a raid, but his family and witnesses said the student was shot as he pleaded for his life.

Witnesses pointed to evidence, including a village security video, which they said showed two police officers dragging Kian away shortly before shots rang out and he was found shot in the head, holding a pistol with his left hand although his parents said he was right-handed.

Police officers testified at a Senate hearing that Kian was not the man seen being dragged in the video, although several witnesses doubted the statement.

His death was followed by another outcry over the killing of former University of the Philippines student Mr Arnaiz.

Police said he was killed when he shot it out with police after robbing a taxi driver last month, but a government forensic expert said he was apparently handcuffed, tortured and shot five times.

His parents say he went out with Reynaldo to buy a snack on the night of August 17 but never returned home.

They found Mr Arnaiz in a morgue 10 days later. Reynaldo's body was found floating in a creek in a city north of Manila last week. His head was wrapped with packing tape and his body bore about 28 stab wounds.


Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph