One of the first victims of the Utoya massacre in Norway was an off-duty police officer who had been hired by the camp directors to provide private security, it has emerged.
That detail sheds new light on the confusion many survivors described during the 90-minute shooting.
The attacker arrived dressed as a policeman, and some campers were killed when they approached the killer thinking he was there to save them.
Meanwhile, the 32-year-old man blamed for the massacre and the bomb blast in Oslo has said he was motivated by a desire to bring about a revolution in Norwegian society, his lawyer says.
A manifesto that Anders Behring Breivik is believed to have written ranted against Muslim immigration to Europe and vowed revenge on "indigenous Europeans" who he accused of betraying their heritage.
In a chilling allusion to the fact that the double tragedy which killed 93 people could have even been greater, police said Breivik still had "a considerable amount" of ammunition for both his guns - a pistol and an automatic rifle - on him when he surrendered.
The manifesto - which police are looking at - was published online on the day of the attacks and it ranted that the European elite, "multiculturalists" and "enablers of Islamisation" would be punished for their "treasonous acts". Police have not confirmed that Breivik wrote the document, but his lawyer referred to it and said Breivik had been working on it for years.
The treatise ends with a detailed description of the plot, ending with a note dated 12:51 p.m. on July 22: "I believe this will be my last entry."
European security officials said they were aware of increased internet chatter from individuals claiming they belonged to the Knights Templar group that Breivik describes, in fantastical terms, in the manifesto. They said they were still investigating claims that Breivik, and other far-right individuals, attended a London meeting of the group in 2002.
Police and his lawyer have said that Breivik confessed to the twin attacks, but denied criminal responsibility. He has been charged with terrorism and will appear in court on Monday.