Five Nato soldiers killed in attack
Nato announced another two service members died in an insurgent attack in eastern Afghanistan on Sunday, raising the toll of those killed in the single incident to five.
The international military coalition did not provide details on the attack or the nationalities of the service members. Though a number of nations have troops in the east, the majority of the forces are American.
The deadly strike came a day after Taliban fighters stormed a Nato base in eastern Afghanistan, showing the insurgents' determination to stage attacks despite a surge of US troops and firepower.
In eastern Kunar province, an insurgent rocket struck inside a US base near the provincial capital of Asadabad, sparking a blaze that destroyed six armoured vehicles and an ambulance, Nato and Afghan officials said.
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid claimed responsibility for the attack.
The base came under attack from gunfire and rockets early on Monday morning and one rocket hit a fuel container, starting the fire, Nato said. There were no coalition injuries.
Provincial police chief Khalilullah Zaiyi said a huge fire could be seen inside the base throughout much of the morning and that Afghan firefighters were dispatched to help quell the flames.
The fire was contained by late morning, Nato said. The six armoured vehicles that were destroyed were Mine Resistant Ambush-Protected vehicles, known as MRAPS, which can cost as much as 1 million dollars each.
Tens of thousands of Afghan and coalition troops are pressing insurgents throughout southern and eastern Afghanistan, and militants are retaliating with attacks on government workers and others aligned with the international troops.
The latest deaths bring to 33 the number of coalition service members who have died in Afghanistan so far this month.