Florida high school shooting: 17 killed in attack
The shooting happened at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland.
Seventeen people are dead in the shooting at a South Florida high school, the Broward County Sheriff's Office has said.
The 18-year-old shooter is in custody, Broward County Sheriff’s Office said, after Swat teams swarmed Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland.
The suspect was later identified as Nicholas Cruz.
The gunman is a former student and was arrested without incident off campus, it added.
Television footage showed police putting a person in the back of a police car outside the high school.
It followed scenes of students frantically running from the building and ambulance crews treating people outside the school on Wednesday afternoon.
Broward Sheriff’s Office said on Twitter: “So far we have at least 14 victims.
“Victims have been and continue to be transported to Broward Health Medical Center and Broward Health North hospital.”
So far we have at least 14 victims. Victims have been and continue to be transported to Broward Health Medical Center and Broward Health North hospital. #StonemanShooting— Broward Sheriff (@browardsheriff) February 14, 2018
Broward County Superintendent Robert Runcie said: “There are numerous fatalities. It is a horrific situation.”
He added: “It is a horrible day for us.”
The White House cancelled its daily press briefing following the news and President Donald Trump has spoken with Florida governor Rick Scott.
The president tweeted: “My prayers and condolences to the families of the victims of the terrible Florida shooting.
“No child, teacher or anyone else should ever feel unsafe in an American school.”
My prayers and condolences to the families of the victims of the terrible Florida shooting. No child, teacher or anyone else should ever feel unsafe in an American school.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 14, 2018
Parent John Obin said his son, a student at the school, was in class when he heard several shots.
The father said his son advised that teachers quickly rushed students out of the school.
“This is a really good school, and now it’s like a war zone,” Mr Obin said.
Coral Springs Police said earlier on Twitter that the school had been locked down and that students and teachers inside should remain barricaded until police reached them.
Outside, television footage showed two people on stretchers and another person being treated on the ground near the school.
Paramedics were treating those who appeared to be students with injuries.
Len Murray, whose 17-year-old son attends the school, was stopped by authorities within view of the building.
He said: “I’m scared for the other parents here. You can see the concern in everybody’s faces.
“Everybody is asking: ‘Have you heard from your child yet?'”