A Frenchman has been arrested in the "advanced stages" of a plot to attack the country, the interior minister has said.
Interior minister Bernard Cazeneuve said there were no links "at this stage" between the plan and the attacks in Paris or Brussels.
Mr Cazeneuve said bomb squads were on site after the raid took place in Argenteuil, on the northern outskirts of the French capital.
He said that the person arrested was implicated at a "high level" in the plot.
Witnesses said that the immediate area had been locked down and residents were unable to return home.
France has been on high alert since the November 13 attacks in Paris that killed 130 people and injured hundreds.
Mr Cazenueve said there had been 75 arrests since the beginning of the year and 28 suspects had been jailed.