Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Gas leak caused fatal explosion in Lahore, probe finds

Investigators have concluded that a deadly explosion in the city of Lahore on Thursday was caused by a gas leak from a cooking cylinder, not a bomb, a Pakistani government minister said.

Rana Sanaullah said experts found no traces of explosives at the scene of the blast in a restaurant in the eastern Pakistani city.

His statement contradicted one from the Counter-Terrorism Department, which said on Thursday that a bomb caused the explosion.

Initially, police said eight people died but Mr Sanaullah revised the death toll down to seven.

He said the explosion was obviously an "accident" and is in no way linked to a string of militant attacks that have killed more than 125 people over the past two weeks across Pakistan.



From Belfast Telegraph