Gaza death toll rises to 18 after Israeli forces fire on protesters
Israel has rejected allegations of excessive force.
A 29-year-old Gaza man has died of injuries from Israeli army fire during last week’s mass protests along the Gaza border with Israel, the Palestinian health ministry said.
Separately, Israeli defence authorities confirmed that Israel is holding the bodies of two alleged Hamas members.
With Monday’s death, this would raise to 18 the number of Palestinians killed by Israeli troops on Friday.
Hamas said Friday’s mass march was the first in six weeks of protests against a decade-old border blockade.
Israel rejected allegations of excessive force, saying it defended its border against what it claims is a Hamas attack under the guise of mass protests.
It said troops were instructed to target “the main instigators”.
Rights groups say shooting Palestinians who do not pose a threat to soldiers’ lives is unlawful.