Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

German restaurant accidentally serves hash cake at funeral

Thirteen people experienced nausea and dizziness and needed medical treatment.

(Nick Ansell/PA)
(Nick Ansell/PA)

By Associated Press Reporters

A funeral in eastern Germany ended on an involuntary drug high when mourners were accidentally served hash cake, police said.

Rostock police said that after the burial in Wiethagen, the funeral party went to a restaurant for coffee and cake, as is customary in Germany.

But after eating the cake, 13 people experienced nausea and dizziness and needed medical treatment.

A police investigation revealed the restaurant employee in charge of the cakes had asked her 18-year-old daughter to bake them, but the mother accidentally took the wrong cake from the freezer to the funeral. She took a hash cake the teenager had made for a different occasion.

Police said the 18-year-old is under investigation.

The incident happened in August but was not published earlier out of respect for the mourners.

PA

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph