Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Jackson guard tells of tragic scene

The last days of Michael Jackson's life were filled with the adulation of fans, a rehearsal performance onlookers described as amazing and intense preparations for his big comeback in London, a court heard.

In good spirits, Jackson chatted with well-wishers outside his home and at the Staples Centre in Los Angeles where he practised songs and dance routines before he returned home.

Then, things took a tragic turn, Jackson's personal assistant Michael Amir Williams told the trial of the doctor charged with involuntary manslaughter in the 50-year-old superstar's death in June 2009.

Mr Williams, who had gone with him to the rehearsal and had dropped Jackson at home, said he got a frantic call the next day from Jackson's doctor, Dr Conrad Murray. "He said, 'Get here right away. Mr Jackson had a bad reaction'. He said, 'Get someone up here right away'," Mr Williams told the Los Angeles jury.

A security guard, Faheem Muhammad, told the court he arrived at Jackson's bedroom to find Murray sweating and nervous, leaning over Jackson and trying to revive him. He said Jackson's two older children, Paris and Prince, were in shock, and Paris fell to the ground, curled up and weeping.

Moments later, Mr Muhammad said, he heard Murray ask if anyone knew CPR (cardio-pulmonary resuscitation).

Evidence on the second day of the trial helped shed light on what Dr Murray did and did not do after he found Jackson unconscious. Dr Murray, 58, who has pleaded not guilty, could face up to four years in prison and would have to relinquish his medical licence.

On June 24 2009, the day before Jackson's death, Dr Murray was in negotiations to join Jackson on his tour as his personal physician, said lawyer Kathy Jorrie of concert giant AEG Live.

She said she was gathering information for an insurance company to make sure Jackson was in good health and could be insured. "Dr Murray told me repeatedly that Michael Jackson was perfectly healthy, in excellent condition. Don't worry about it. He's great," she recalled.

The trial continues.


From Belfast Telegraph